Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Book Review :: The Christmas Story for Children by Max Lucado, Randy Frazee, and Karen Davis Hill, illustrated by Fausto Bianchi

The Christmas Story for Children is a book written by Max Lucado, Randy Frazee, and Karen Davis Hill and illustrated by Fausto Bianchi that is geared toward the 4-8 age range. The cover and the list of authors gave me high hopes for this book, but unfortunately, my expectations weren't fully met.

The illustrations by Fausto Bianchi in The Christmas Story for Children are interesting, but some are odd at times. (For example: the angel named Gabriel very much appears to have the face of a female. My kids pointed this out to me, confused, as I was reading.) Overall, though, the illustrations are well done. 

The storyline in The Christmas Story for Children was where I wished for more (or maybe...less?). There was literary liberty taken in the telling of the story, but I wish it had stuck more to the biblical facts. There was a portion of the book, for example, where Joseph and Mary are complaining about going to Bethlehem for the census. I felt that was unnecessary and could taint my kids' views of the God-fearing people that Mary & Joseph were. 

I did appreciate that The Christmas Story for Children not only included the birth of Jesus, but also his baptism and the beginning of his ministry. 

I think that The Christmas Story for Children is a fine book to read and discuss with your kids, but if you only are able to choose one Christmas story book, I personally wouldn't choose this one. 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: